Tournament Rules for 8-9 Division
Relative to Tournament Play: It is assumed that all teams will post all eligible players and that all games will be played in the standard 9 v. 9 format. In the event that a team posts with less than nine (9) eligible players at the start of the game, the following rules engage:
Burdened Team = the team with the least number of eligible players present at the start of game.
1.) Seven (7) is the minimum number players permitted to start a game without forfeiting up-front.
a.) If the burdened team starts with seven (7) players and an injury occurs during the game, which results in less than seven (7) players able to continue play, the decision to continue to play is solely at the discretion of the coach of the burdened team. If the burdened team with the injured player opts to stop playing at that time, then that team will forfeit the game and will take a loss regardless of the score at the time of the injury.
b.) If, at 15 minutes past the scheduled game time, the burdened team still does not have at least seven (7) eligible players available to start the game, then the burdened team will be forced to forfeit the game and take a loss.
2.) Relative to number of players present at the start of the game and the scope-of-play (i.e 7v7, 8v8, etc.):
a.) The team with the least amount of players present at the start of the game (burdened team) gets to decide how many players both teams play with, but the burdened team has to play with a maximum of only one (1) substitute.
EXAMPLE 1: Team A has nine (9) players at the start of game, and Team B has (8) players at the start of game: Team B gets to decide how many players to play with, but their only two options can be to play with eight (8) players and no substitute or seven (7) players and one (1) substitute. They cannot choose to play with six (6) players and two (2) substitutes.
b.) If additional burdened-team eligible players arrive after the start of the game, the players can be added under the normal substitution guidelines (i.e. your throw-in, a goal kick, etc.), only upon the burdened team notifying the opposing team through the referee that they are adding to the number of players on the field. The opposing team will then add players proportionately.
*Reminder – Please show respect for the referees! They are kids, making $10 a game, and while we all may have legitimate issues with poor calls or non-calls, we need to remember that this is for fun! All of us are competitive, but we must show restraint in our actions towards the refs during play. Make every effort to address issues with them during half-time or after the game has ended, and be a leader with regards to your player’s and parent’s conduct towards them as well. Good luck in your tournament!!!
The following additional rules are in effect for the tournament:
* All games ending in a tie at the end of regulation will be followed by one full 10 minute overtime (not sudden death).
* If, at the end of the of the full 10 minute overtime the game is still tied, a shoot-out will decide the contest.
* A shoot-out will consist of each team choosing 5 shooters and a goalie.
* The goalie MUST have played either a full half of regulation, or the entire 10 minute overtime period.
* The goalie may also be a shooter.
* If the game is tied after the first 5 shooters from each team have taken their shots, then 5 NEW shooters must be chosen by each team. However, each round of attempts then becomes sudden death…with the team ahead at the end of a given round being the winner of the game.
* If you have more than one goalie that qualifies to play goal during shootouts, then you must decide which goalie to use for the first 5 shooters and stay with that goalie for those first 5 shooters. Should the score still be tied and each team needs to choose another 5 shooters, then the goalie can change to another qualified goalie.
* Should the score be tied after the first 5 shooters and there need to be another shootout, each team will need to pick 5 new shooters. If one team does not have 5 different players (because of playing short), then that team shall use the leftover players as shooters and then make up the difference to 5 with some of the shooters from the first round. The unburdened team will follow suit with whatever combination the burdened team uses. I.e. Burdened team only has 2 players left that did not shoot first round. Burdened team uses those 2 players plus 3 shooters from the first round. Unburdened team then can chose to use 2 new shooters and 3 that shot the first round as well or any combination as long as the unburdened team has at least the same amount of new shooters as the burdened team.